BOCA Group, a global leader in vertical transportation consulting company is seeking a Project Engineer to join our customer-focused team, based in New York City. We are a fast-paced, rapidly growing company that offers a positive work environment, competitive salary and benefits.
The ideal candidate will provide services in Elevator and Escalator engineering; will assist the Director of Engineering and Senior Engineer with all areas of engineering, including administrative support related to engineering functions.
Must have strong written communication skills, verbal communication skills, organizational skills, computer skills, must maintain a professional demeanor in all situations and be able to withhold confidential information. The Project Engineer must be a disciplined person with a flexible approach towards the assigned work as well as be able to multi task and have basic management skills. This individual must be a team player and should be able to interact with staff at all levels of the company with a proactive approach to the work load. Work requires willingness to work a flexible schedule.
- Create maintenance specifications and modernization specifications and ensure accuracy and proper formatting
- Assist with certain tasks during surveys to gather field data.
- Prepare and interpret blueprints, schematic drawings, layouts and other visual aids.
- Must be willing to learn to read and review shop drawings and submittals, and compare them to design specifications and drawings.
- Will be expected to develop a shop drawing/submittal review procedure to eliminate hand-written comments
- Must be willing to travel, whenever necessary
- Prepare technical reports:
- Perform all theoretical traffic calculations, and/or analyze recorded traffic data, and write reports
- Analyze measured ride quality vibration data (collected by others) and write reports
- Review due diligence reports
- Assist in technical presentations
- Maintenance Specifications
- Prepare and/or review all maintenance contract specifications, including those to be submitted with modernization or installation packages
- Compare owner-drafted or contractor-drafted maintenance contracts to the BOCA Group contract specifications and write detailed comments or recommended changes
- Assist with development of new templates for all reports
- Assist with shop drawings and submittal review. Format comments into a neat and organized template for return to the contractors
- Peer Reviews
- Ensure we have signed proposals before any review begins
- Review documents to ensure we have all necessary items to begin review
- If all documents are in our possession, then forward to Director of Engineering to begin actual peer review
- Assist Director of Engineering with report
- Project-related support
- Field surveys and preparation of specifications and drawings
- Preparation of bid package and assistance with bid process including review and leveling of contractors’ proposals
- Submittal logs and reviews
- Attend meetings
- Visit job sites, as necessary
- Due diligence site visits and reports
- Miscellaneous field visits and correlating reports
Perform other duties as assigned
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state and local building codes and safety laws. Work requires advanced math skills, special relationship abilities, and the ability to understand “abstract” principles behind math and physics. Working knowledge of CAD tools. Requires registration as a Professional Engineer.
- Customer and Personal Service: Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office and Auto CAD.
- Work requires travel to meetings, site visits, and inspections.
- Must be willing to learn elevator and escalator design and design principals.
Bachelor’s degree in engineering, or a minimum of three (3) years of experience designing/specifying elevator and/or escalator equipment.